Best. Movie. Ever.
I'd like to proudly admit that I do not follow any celebrities on various social media platforms, but that would be a big lie. Unless you have taken an internet sabbatical, you are well aware that almost all the Kardashian/Jenner clan is expecting. Or that Mylie Cyrus stopped twerking and started making pretty good music again.. After all, you do follow them on Snapchat, don't you?
Each day, society swells into a larger mass of some virtual version we consider to be actual life. With social media outlets being so damn addicting, almost everyone has a profile on some internet platform. But why is it that some celebrities are more interesting to follow than others? For the sake of this article, let me use my experience/obsession with Kylie Jenner and hopefully it will translate for whomever it is you can't seem to stop clicking on...
WE LOVE MAKEOVERS
Do you remember when Cher and Dionne took Tai under their wing? Or how about when Sandra Bullock gets made over into Gracie Lou Freebush and struts her ass out into a crowd of other FBI agents as this beautiful, new woman? As women, we love that makeover shit. The best movie scenes are makeover scenes. We've been raised on them (Cinderella, hello!) and Kyle Jenner's life is one long makeover scene that we can't seem to stop watching.
SHE IS OUR IDEA OF BEAUTY
Brava to those who have always been 100% confident in themselves. I laugh because I have never met a man or woman who hasn't wanted to change at least one thing about his or her body. Following up with the above statement, Kylie has evolved her look very precisely. If you don't want her lips, then you want her tiny waist, if not her waist, her perfectly tanned skin. We all admire at least one feature, real or artificial, of hers. And I see nothing wrong with altering your imagine, as long as it's something that you are doing for yourself and not for someone else.
SHE IS ALWAYS EVOLVING
People used to lose their minds when Madonna would reinvent herself. Now in the golden age of technology, we get to see people change their look every day. Where once a month we would pick up an Allure, Vogue, or Marie Claire to discover the latest in makeup and hair inspiration, we now go on Instagram and see it instantly. Celebrities are aware that they need to keep their fans interested by switching things up as time progresses. Kylie uses this technique to her advantage.
HER CHOICE IN MEN SUCKS
This is one of the reasons I am personally so fascinated with the youngest Jenner. She is so beautiful, has a booming makeup business, and the men she chooses to be with look like they crawled out of a gutter. It makes me feel like my past dating mistakes aren't really all that bad.
HER LIFE HAS NO PROBLEMS
I know that this is not factual. Everyone has problems. But for celebrities, their problems seem to always get handled much differently. This is appealing for the everyday person because it gives us hope that if we fuck up, we might just be ok. As a society, we view fame and fortune as a fix-it-all.
SHE IS THE RICHIER, MORE GLAMOROUS VERSION OF US
Because we follow her, it makes us feel like we are a part of her posse. When we follow our favorite celebrities, we gain a false sense of being a part of their world. We view celebrities as fabulous, glimmering versions of ourselves. We talk about celebrities like we went to high school with them. They have the upgraded versions of what we have.
It's no surprise that our society is becoming desensitized to many things we were once in awe of. But I write this post as a farce. All of this is unrealistic thinking. What you see/hear on the internet is only ever half of the truth, and I think we all need a reminder of that every once in awhile. That doesn't mean we can't grab inspiration from celebrities, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Inspiration and aspirations are what make dreams come true. But making it by just being yourself is waaaaaaaay easier than trying be a copy of someone else.
Made in America just ended in our city, which signifies the send off of summer. How did we get to the first week of September already? When did this happen? I feel like it was just Phillies opening day! While we may be able to stop ourselves from most things, time unfortunately is not one of them. But fear not, all you summer babes! Here are 15 different ways for you to hold on to summer in Philly until its' very last Franklin Fountain filled drop.
1. Slather on SPF. ALL DAY. EVERYDAY. Even though buildings provide shade, it's not enough protection from UVA & UVB.
2. The smell of coconut will always remind me of summer. Beans Beauty on Chestnut St. carries a lot of hard to find products, one of which is the Malie Organics line. Pick up the body cream whenever you want to regain the memory of warmer weather.
3. Embrace the Panama Hat in the fall. Because my entire wardrobe is black on black, you bet your guavas I've already prepared myself for next season with a black panama hat!
4. The Cucumber Mint Mojito Martini at the Continental Restaurant and Martini Bar, in my opinion, is the best drink in all of Philly. Another great part about it is that they carry the ingredients all year round, so you can have summer refreshment all year round.
5. I am in no way hip or trendy, but I saw a lot of this bathing suit under the shorts trend at SIPS this year. That look can translate into fall by just throwing a kimono style cardigan on over it. Check out Target for kimonos, they have a ton!
6. Sunglasses are on sale at the end of season. Pick up the ones you've been "eye-ing" up that are finally on sale. Check out these sexy shades over at Century 21.
7. St. Tropez mousse. There's a reason why it's been a best seller for so long.
8. If you haven't tried Balayage highlights, give it a go. It's a beautiful, natural color blend that works for every season. The team over @ Bobby Mack & Co. SLAYS the Balayage game. Go see for yourself!
9. Alterna Sea Waves Mousse and Spray. This is an HG product for me. It keeps up with beach-y waves all year round. And it smells so damn good.
10. Throw on some beach inspired jewelry. Just please, please stay away from the Pukka Necklace...
11. Plan a weekend getaway for the colder months. Miami in October and November is beautiful! Start saving now so when the cold air starts to show up, you'll have a warm holiday to look forward to.
12. Fitness Works in South Philly has an indoor pool & sauna. It's a pretty cool feeling to be getting your sweat on and seeing people outside wearing coats.
13. Never know what to do with those shells you've collected? Try making shell candles or some wall art.
14. Make a Spotify playlist of all the songs you jammed out to this summer. Play it on your way into work and I guarantee it'll put you in great spirits.
15. You still have one more month left to enjoy the midway and hammocks at Spruce Street Harbor Park! If you haven't been this year, now would be a great time because kids are going back to school and it won't be nearly as crowded.
Tis the season of.... well.... not much since the holidays have come and gone. :-( But fear not fellow beauty junkies! I put together this INCREDIBLE giveaway for you to beat those winter skin blues! The contest is super simple to enter, and there are three ways to go about it:
Instagram: Tag a friend in the official post for the giveaway. For every comment and like, it will be one entry for you. If you wish to repost the original image and tag @nikkieartistry, that gets you 10 entries automatically and a big virtual kiss from me to you!
Facebook: Head over to my Facebook page and give it a like. Every like it a point.
Blog Comment: Comment on this post and it will get 1 entry.
*The contest ends on January 23rd, 12am EST. I will contact the winner by instagram or e-mail. There is no purchase necessary.
So what did I put in my Skin-goodness GIveaway bag??? Read about all the great products below:
SO, WHAT'S IN THE BOX??
Neutrogena Hydro Boost water gel: Gahhh, where has this been all of my life?! I use this on my face as a primer and it holds makeup IMPECCABLY. It's so light that you don't feel like you are wearing anything at all! I've been using it for the past month and not only have seen a dramatic difference in my skin's vibrancy, but my skin also FEELS like I just got a facial every morning. #Obsessionof2017
Acure Pore Clarifying Red Clay Mask: Moroccan red clay + Argan stem cell. When used weekly, you'll notice less blackheads and your skin will still be moisturized because of the Argan. I love products that work double duty! Not only is it vegan, but also paraben, sulfate, and cruelety free.
Balm Chicky balm Blam in "Sweet Baby Ginger": I've always been a sucker for provacative branding, so needless to say I knew I would like this product. The whole line is inspired by 70's Adult Films (!!!) and, much like the women of that era, is 100% natural. Sweet Baby Ginger is currently SOLD OUT on Amazon but look out for its' friends Juicy Melons, Huge Cucumber, Wild Mountain Honey, and Hot Chocolate Love.
Almay's One Coat Multi-Benefit Mascara: Hypoallergenic for sensitive eyes. It coats the lashes with the most natural, wet slick of black color.
Pix! Glow Tonic: A toner that actual does what is says! It is an alcohol free toner that exfoliates as well as soothes the skin with an aloe vera infusion. My skin feels clean and looks, no pun intended, GLOWING after I use it. I've even caught my fiance using it recently. Love love love this stuff.
Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Restorative Night Cream: Our skin repairs itself as we sleep, so why not help it out a little? If your skin has been feeling as drab as these winter days, this will firm it up for you. Infused with blackberry complex, vitamins c & e, and plenty of antioxidants, it sounds almost good enough to eat. But please, I digress. It really doesn't taste as good as it sounds.
Mayfair Body Creme in Sea Lily Jasmine: Such a relaxing scent. It soaks into the skin very quickly with no greasy residue. With most moisturizers, they can feel heavy if you don't use them immediately after a shower but with this one, you can use it all throughout the day and it'll keep your skin moisturized throughout this winter
Fusion extensions have been gaining more momentum in popularity each year. Gone are the days of masking a too short hair cut by pulling it back, throwing on a beanie, or trying to concoct a hairstyle using 300 bobbie pins. Overnight, celebrities go from a fierce, shoulder grazing bob to long, sex kitten locks. A major difference between celebrities and the rest of the world is that they have people helping them look fabulous each day. Yes, it is just as important for them to use the proper techniques in caring for their extensions but if they don't, shelling out a thousands of dollars to replace them isn't that big of a deal. That is why is it so important to take the proper care in maintaining your hair, so that you can save yourself the headache and money. Here are the most important tips and tricks I have learned through the years when it comes to keeping extensions soft, manageable, and tangle free:
1. BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH! Good brushing is essential. Before you get into the shower, make sure to brush out any hairspray or tangles. When brushing, start at the ends and work your way up. NEVER use a brush with hard bristles, as this can damage the hair and add knots. I use a soft, boar bristle brush on all of my clients and encourage them to purchase the same brush if they don't already have it..
2. Wash your hair gently. Do not scrub, I repeat DO NOT SCRUB your roots or extensions. You have to treat them like silk. Gently press shampoo into the roots of your hair, avoiding getting it in the bonds. By lifting up the hair section by section and running your pointer finger across the hairline with shampoo, you will still being able to clean your scalp. When conditioning, only condition from the midshaft and down. Since the extensions will not get the natural oils from your scalp, it is important to use a high quality shampoo and conditioner to keep them looking and feeling great. I suggest Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo and Conditioner as it is keratin infused and keeps your hair moisturized and strong. When rinsing product out, always keep the water flowing down. The same applies for blow drying your hair as well.
3. Do not put heat directly on the bonds. This will weaken them and cause them to fall out quicker. Always point the airflow in the down direction, never against the grain of your hair. I know how easy it is to just flip your hair upside down to get volume and cut blow dry time down, but this will not work with extensions. It will create and unpleasant, matted mess all around. Use your boar bristle brush while blow drying and remember not to run the brush directly down from root to end because it will get caught on the bonds and can rip them out (OUCH!). It is safe (and encouraged) to use a thermal protectant spray on your hair before drying it to create a barrier from the heat.
4. Your hair should be 100% dry before you go to sleep. By braiding the extensions or tying them into a low ponytail, this will lay the hair flat and keep it from getting tangled throughout the night. A messy bun on top of your head can cause an even messier style the next morning. If possible, a satin pillowcase will keep your hair soft and smooth.
5. Avoid harsh chemicals. Hair color should never be applied directly onto the bonds because it will break down its adhesion and cause them to fall out. Chlorine and salt water are also very abrasive to hair but if this is unavoidable, wear a swim cap. Swim caps have come a long way from when they were first introduced! Check out this bad-ass one, this one, and even this awesome floral cap.
6. Dry shampoo will become your best friend. The less you wash your hair the better. Although I don't suggest going poo-free for weeks on end, it is fine to go a few days without washing it. So many different brands make dry shampoo now and you can find it at your local drugstore. Just spray it at the root to freshen up.
By using these tips and tricks, your hair extensions will last a very long time. When I got my first set of extensions, I was not told by my stylist any of this. When I had asked her, she gave me very vague answers and I did not care for them the way that I should have. But through trial and error, I was able to find the best way to take care of my second set and each one after that. If you have any questions, please send me a message or comment. Here's to happy, healthy hair!
Can you believe that we are less than 2 weeks away from Halloween? It feels like just yesterday we were all pumping up the AC in our cars and wearing flowing dresses to maintain a reasonable body temperature. Halloween (shockingly!) is one of my most favorite holidays. It is the one night of the year that you can dress as scary, sexy, and strange as you like and be embraced in all of your splendor. In case you feel as ill prepared as I do for this season, here are some truly incredible makeup tutorials that will inspire you to be whomever you choose this Halloween.
If you feel like you aren't up for the challenge, just give me a call or shoot me an e-mail and I will certainly help you out. Theatrical makeup is where I got my start and I have done Halloween makeup for many clients through the years--some even winning contest for their ghoulish-ness! I tend to go a bit crazy with my Halloween makeup and add in a lot of elements not typically seen on everyone. Before the times of social media, it was difficult to capture all of the gory moments of Halloween history, and we all had to rely solely on our imaginations. I encourage you to do the same! Get inspiration from films and even literature to come up with a truly unique costume this year. And when you do, please post some pictures on my Twitter or comment below because I would love to see them, Happy Haunting!
So, is National Boyfriend Day just another holiday concocted by the ice cream industry to make single ladies feel like crap? While we recognize that “national” days are often silly, capricious creations--some really take offense to this one—we will play the optimist. With Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie playing in the background, celebrating relationships on the pop culture front is often a bit…well, depressing.
What are we to make of National Boyfriend Day?
While relationship celebrations are fun—Valentine’s Day being the crème de la crème—the bottom line is that every day should warrant a small celebration of your partner, but most importantly, you should have a partner that recognizes that you need to celebrate yourself. What might appear selfish—some pampering at the spa, time alone with a book, a solo expedition through your favorite vintage clothing store, or a night out with your best friend—could be a gift to your partner without them even knowing.
If you are neglecting yourself in your relationship, then today should be a national YOU day. Take some time for yourself, or if you have a boyfriend or partner, turn off the 24-hour coverage of Trump’s taxes and Hilary’s email, and tune into each other.
If your boyfriend is worthy of celebration on National Boyfriend Day, the best gift will be your time and your presence.
Let us know on Twitter and Instagram how you celebrate National Boyfriend Day.
Check out these quotes from BrainyQuote and Goodreads via International Business Times:
“Once you fall for someone, their smell can be a powerful thing. Women will wear their boyfriends’ T-shirts, and throughout tales in history men have held on to their lover’s handkerchief.” — Helen Fisher, biological anthropologist.
“I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn't matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together.” —Julia Roberts, actress.
“Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” — Bob Marley, Jamaican reggae singer.
Today is national Care Bear Share Your Care Day, If you are a child of the 80s, then you remember the colorful (love-full) bears introduced to the public by American Greetings in 1983. The figurines and cartoons are probably lingering in the background of many of your fondest memories. You probably have someone in your life that embodies one of the ten original bears--maybe a Grumpy Bear, Bedtime Bear, or a Love-a-lot-Bear. Maybe you're a Friend Bear, or a Funshine Bear. We don't know what Funshine is, but doesn't it sound amazing?
So what is Care Bear Share Your Care Day? Well, the Care Bears support a lot of national charities like United Way and Operation smile, but this national day celebrates small acts of kindness. Hold a door, pay for the car behind you at the toll booth or drive thru, or just be kind to someone who may not even deserve it.
Nikki's Artistry believes in actions--walking the walk--so we support all of you out there sharing your care today!
Whether these pop culture icons inspire the colors in your fashion, eye shadow, or hair color, today, let them inspire your actions. Celebrate and inspire with the tales of your charitable actions with #Shareyourcare, or, if you are up for a true act of kindness, help someone out and keep it to yourself--don't brandish it for all to see, but keep it close to your heart where it will mean the most.
Everyone looks around in life for their grand purpose--making money, a family, notoriety and fame--but don't forget the simplest and longest lasting act and contribution you can make: your kindness. Why not start making your mark today?
Happy Labor Day, everyone! Sure the holiday is the unofficial end of summer and a time of retail deals and sales extravaganzas, but it also marks a celebration of the American Labor Movement and all the strides taken toward safe and fair workplace environments and worker's rights.
But Nikki's Artistry wanted to give a shoutout post to all the laborers whose songs go unsung--the mother's, artists, wives, and lovers who toil anonymously. We often picture the laborers who forged the United States as being grease-spattered and sweaty factory workers, which many of them were (our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers, we thank you for your social and economic achievements), but what about this nation's laborers who toil in homes; behind notebooks and on canvases; or those who quietly give love to those in need even when a paycheck or labor union isn't involved?
We see your work, and we thank you.
Nikki's Artistry wants you to know we are with you, among you, and by your side in your labor. Take a day for yourself. Get pampered. Taste your coffee tomorrow morning--don't just slug it down as fuel for the work that awaits you. Savor the sunrise. Don't just rush off to your work. And if you want a professional touch of pampering and beautifying, give us a call. Happy Labor Day!
Before attempting any new style, it is imperative to weigh out the pros and cons. This is very important to do before ever making a change to your new 'do because your new style can affect your entire life. As much as I longed for Ruby Rose's half shave, I took into consideration my facial features, clothing, and general lifestyle before I got my last cut. After a full examination, the edgy shave was just not in the cards for me.
For many, they forego the rules and do whatever it is that they see fit. And to that I say, go on with your bad-ass self! This post is by no means meant to talk you out of having your dream cut or layering in every color of the rainbow throughout your long locks. Here are five celebrities who made drastic changes to their hair and the aftermath that followed:
Norma Jeane Baker, better known as Marilyn Monroe
America's Blonde Bombshell wasn't always. Marilyn had a muted color when she first broke into the entertainment industry. It wasn't until our favorite bottled-blonde committed to her new look that got the recognition she still holds on to till this day.
For every 90's girl, we each had our favorite television star that we were all about. My curly girl friends loved Felicity because they were able to relate to her style. It wasn't until she chopped off her infamous locks that she really made main stream media waves.
No list would be complete without a Kardashian or Jenner. Ever since Kylie started to.... enhance herself, her style has followed suit. She is constantly seen with different hair styles, colors, and lengths.
When Zac Efron came on the scene, he was a California beach boy with the hair to match. After his career with Disney subsided, he evolved both professionally and aesthetically. Many child actors have a difficult time doing the switch into adulthood and still be taken seriously, but Zac is doing just fine. Once he chopped off his longer locks, it revealed a much more mature look and the roles poured in.